“Burrundulla” was established almost 200 years ago by the Cox family in Mudgee. In 1814 Governor Lachlan Macquarie ordered Lt. William Cox of the N.S.W. Corps to build a road across the Blue Mountains from Penrith to Bathurst, a distance of 101 miles, after learning of the agricultural significance of these fertile plains.
With a team of convicts numbering 30, Cox completed the task in just 6 months, an engineering feat not likely to ever be achieved again.
In 1821, William’s 4th son, George Cox ventured to Mudgee with a son of William Lawson and settled “Burrundulla”. Story has it that on one cattle drive west, the stock were attracted to the rich floodplains at “Burrundulla” and kept turning back despite the efforts of the stockmen. The property today covers around 2,000 acres on the eastern edge of the town of Mudgee.