Queen Adelaide

  • Queen Adelaide

Opening Hours

Not open to the public

In 1836, the first settlers arrived in South Australia and the new Governor, Captain John Hindmarsh, requested permission to name the new city after King William IV of England.

The King suggested it be named 'Adelaide' after his Queen and the main street was given the name of King William. In 1858, Osmond Gilles, the first Treasurer of South Australia planted a vineyard in Glen Osmond then shortly after the brand "Woodley’‘ was created.

In 1953, Woodley used an engraving of German-born Queen Adelaide on his high end claret. The Queen Adelaide portrait was re-introduced in 1963 as the label for Woodley’‘s new Queen Adelaide range, which was an immediate success and went on to become a famous Australian wine.

Wines from Queen Adelaide

White and Sparkling

Red and Fortified

Queen Adelaide Image & Video Gallery

Queen Adelaide Contact Details


Sturt Highway

Waikerie South Australia 5330

Phone: 08 8541 2588

Fax: 08 8541 3877

Email: [email protected]

Cellar Door